Monday, January 16, 2006

Vacation Planning

In my spare time I've been slowly perusing info about Europe. I'd like to visit there again for my next vacation. When I visited there two years ago, I didn't make it to Scandinavia so I'd like to spend some time in Denmark (in and around Copenhagen) with maybe a short detour to Sweden (e.g. a day in Malmo). I'll probably spent a few days in London too because my cousin lives there. But I'm not too sure what else to do. (The "masterplan" is to go for about three weeks).

A few of my ideas are:

  • Scotland (or the UK in general).
  • Stop for a few days in various places between London and Copenhagen, such as Paris, Brussels/Brugge, or Amsterdam.
  • Spend about a week in Berlin, or some other part of Germany.
  • Tour a few places in Eastern Europe such as Budapest or Prague.
Like Denmark, Scotland is another place I'd like to visit, but didn't make it to on my earlier trip. The pictures of the Scottish countryside are always so scenic. I'm not too sure what specific things there are to see and do though.

Stopping along the way between London and Copenhangen would be convenient and I don't think you can run out of things to see and do in Paris. However, I've visited Paris and Amsterdam (and London) before, so half of places on the trip would not be "new".

Last time, we only spent a day in Germany and it was in a village along the Rhine, so Germany would be "new" and I think there are lots of famous sights, museums, etc. in Berlin.

I haven't been to Eastern Europe before, so that idea is appealing. If I can't find anyone to go with (which seems likely), I would be tempted to go on a short tour of Eastern Europe. Contiki, has a few tours to choose from: Berlin - Prague (8 days), Berlin - Prague - Vienna (10 days), Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest (12 days), as well as Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Budapest - Krakow - Warsaw - Berlin (14 days).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can go to Germany and hit the Berlin 14 day trip, I highly suggest it. I went on a similar tour last summer and enjoyed it immensely. When is your vacation planned for?