Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday

Without a doubt, Monday is worst day of the week. I was woken up this morning by the fire alarm. After quickly throwing on my clothes, I went out of my apartment to be greeted by the delicate aroma of toaster-challenge neighbour. Naturally, it was raining too. No sleep + no hot shower + no breakfast + standing in rain = unhappy.

The firefighters didn't seem too enthusiastic either. (Is it bad karma to say that?) Two trucks came. One firefighter slowly got out and went inside the building and then back. Then another firefighter came out after another little bit and they both went into the apartment building. A few minutes later a couple more got out of the other truck and joined them and they all came out a few minutes later. Then the huddled, wet masses went back inside.

I had a 9 am phone interview to do too. I'm really more of a "the work day starts at 10 - 11 am" kind of person. It's always frustrating when the candidates can't answer simple things. I don't like to start my week frustrated. And there was the suggestion to change one of the on-call schedules again so I could be on-call again. No thanks. I'm just getting off on-call. I've already been on-call for 11 days this month. (And, yes, I know it's only the 9th of the month). And why does the on-call schedule need to change every other business day. What was wrong with the previous three versions?

I hate Mondays.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Mondays were called something else, would they still be as miserable? Just curious. Hope your week improves :)

Ryan said...

A great Calvin & Hobbes comic.

(And it's the day, not it's name that the source of the unpleasantness).

Anonymous said...

I loved the comic! Today for me, was one of those day. BTW, did your week improve?

Ryan said...

The rest of the week was better, but not great.

I'm on-call between 22 and 27 days this month (depending on how you count the days that have overlapping/adjacent on-calls), which really sucks.

This week has been frustrating too, but this probably isn't the best place to complain about my work...

Hopefully your week will improve too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I actaully was thinking about how much worse my week could be, and after reading your comments, being on call that much...my week really isn't all that bad! I do hope you are able to have some time to relax and unwind and that when you are called, it goes better than expected.

How long before your trip to Europe? :)

Ryan said...

I'll probably get paged and end up working (some of) this weekend. :-( I'm going to take Tuesday off for my mental health.

Not sure about my trip - I still need to plan it! So at least a few months. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Tuesday will be the perfect day to work on your Europe trip! I wil wait in breathless anticipation to see what you come up with!:-)
(From your pictures of your travels in the past, it is bound to be interesting!)
Good Luck this weekend...Tuesday will be here sooner than you think!
:-)