Thursday, January 26, 2006

Coldplay

I went to the Coldplay concert last night.

I left work early and I went with Suor to Roti, an Indian restuarant, in LQA for dinner. I had the chicken saag, which was pretty good, but spicy. They were kind of slow bringing us the bill after we were done, which was a little funny, but we had some time to kill, so it wasn't too bad. Then we walked to Key Arena (via Easy Street Records) to meet Nabeel.

The opening act was Fiona Apple. She was okay, but not very memorable. Perhaps that's because I don't really her music that well. (I only recognized one song). I should also say that she seemed a bit eccentric and fidgety (like she has ADHD or something).

Coldplay started out with Square One, Politik, and Yellow, for which big yellow ballons, containing gold sparkles, were dropped from the ceiling and used as beachballs by the audience in front of the stage. They played most of their new album, X&Y, (i.e. Speed of Sound, Talk, etc.) as well as their older songs that you would expect, such as The Scientist (my favourite Coldplay song), In My Place, Clocks (perhaps the best song of the evening), God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, and Trouble. (The only older song that comes to mind that they didn't play was A Rush of Blood to the Head). In the middle of the set, they had a brief "tribute to Johnny Cash" that were three songs (two Coldplay songs + Ring of Fire) that they played without any of the flashing lights, video, etc. Chris Martin didn't talk a whole lot, but did like bringing up the Superbowl and the Seattle Seahawks occasionally. The set seemed quick, but was probably about 70 minutes long, so I suppose that is compliment (i.e. time flies when you're having fun). They came out for a three-song encore, which ended with Fix You, another good song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Their setlist has not changed much since their first north american leg of twisted logic tour but it's still a great experience listening to them. I enjoy watching the unabashed dancing of Chris Martin and the crowd's ability to sing in unison.

Ryan said...

The "t" and the "y" are beside each other on the keyboard...