Sunday, October 08, 2006

Learn Ruby Or Python?

I've been reading a lot of short computer-programming articles online lately, such as Exception-Handling Antipatterns, which I bookmarked a couple weeks ago (as a possible reference for a talk about Defensive Programming that I gave two weeks ago), but didn't end up reading it until today.

I also learn about Duck Typing (via Joel on Software's Ruby Performance Revisited). The articles The Perils of Duck Typing and Java does Duck Typing were interesting follow-ups.

I think I need to get around to learning Ruby. I've been meaning to for a while, but have never gotten any farther than bookmarking Prgramming Ruby and Why's Poignant Guide To Ruby. Do you think I should teach myself Ruby or try learning Python first?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Ruby is the more interesting of the two languages. The syntax is very clean, and you can do pretty bizarre stuff with the language. Python is cool too though, but I don't like all the __self__ stuf.

Ryan said...

So your vote is for Ruby then? :-)