Sunday, February 19, 2006

Skiing

Yesterday, I went skiing at Summit with Suor (who was snowboarding). It was my first time skiing. Well, that's not quite true. Went I was in grade 6 they took us skiing at Chicopee Ski Hill. But that was like 15 years ago, so I don't remember anything. And Chicopee is a rather desperate foray at downhill skiing. (If you're Waterloo you know what I mean. If you're from Seattle, it's smaller than the hill I live on. Otherwise, note that the emphasis is strongly on hill).

I spend the first two-and-half hours in lessons. They didn't give me poles either. The instructor (Stan) talked about balance, pressure, rotating, and edging for a bit. (Skiing is more complicated that it looks). Then we tried balancing with only one ski on and going down a slight incline. Then with two skis. After that, we made it up the easier slope (Holiday) and went down a few times and that was it for the first lesson. (There are a total of three lessons over three days).

Afterward, I went down Holiday several more times with Suor, which was fun. The chair lift is a bit crazy - I don't like heights, and it took a few tries before I could figure out how get off it without falling. Overall, I had a goodtime, but skiing is hard on your lower legs. Everything from my knees down was quite sore yesterday. And I can't walk too well today - my left-calf muscle is not very happy.

I'll probably go again at the start of March.

No comments: